The defining features of the Blues Sonnet are:
- a quatorzain made up of 4 triplets and a heroic couplet.
- oddly metric, in iambic pentameter. This is in contrast to the usual blue stanza which is accentual, with a more folksy rhythm.
- rhymed, rhyme scheme AAa BBb CCc DDd ee.
- it is composed of 4 Blues Stanzas, L1 statement, L2 incremental repetition of L1, and L3 is a climactic parallel of the first 2 lines.
- pivot or volta should be in the last triplet. and ends in a declamatory couplet.
Our country faces crisis we allowed.
My country faces crisis we allowed.
Our constitution has been disavowed.
With Czars a shadow government’s emerged.
Unchecked, a shadow government’s emerged.
Today our middle class has been submerged.
Our President wants full control right now.
The President wants full control right now.
Our freedom must be put aside somehow.
I write to share my fearful sad lament.
I want to share my fearful sad lament.
The takers want it all, and they’re intent.
We need to muster every thinking vote.
for gimme-mores we know will vote by rote.
(c) Lawrencealot – Novemeber 4, 2012