- Miniature is a verse form that is a kind of contradiction of syllabic and metric form. All but 2 lines, begin and end on stressed syllables which would imply catalectic trochaic meter. It also has an unusual feature of requiring the 5th syllable of the 1st line be rhymed with the 1st syllable of the 2nd line, it was created by Margaret Ball Dickson.The Miniature is:
- a decastich, a poem in 10 lines.
- syllabic, 7/5/7/5/7/6/7/7/6/7/7 syllables per line. All but L6 & L8 begin and end on a stressed syllable. L6 & L8 have feminine endings.
- rhyme xaxaxbxbcc, x being unrhymed.
- composed with the 5th syllable of L1, rhymed with the 1st syllable of L2
soon will be our fare.
Ships exceeding speed of light
Will propel us there.
Men from earth will colonize
planets fit for living
We’ll find other beings there
giving gifts worth giving.
Know that as our skills increase
So do hopes we’ll spread but peace.