The following descriptiion and example is reposted with permission from Poetry Magnum Opus, with thanks to Judi Van Gorder for years of work on that fine resource.
The SciFaiku is what the name implies, science fiction haiku an invented verse form introduced by Tom Brinck in 1995. Scifaiku combines science fiction themes with some of the elements of the haiku.
The elements of the Scifaiku are:
- minimal, in the moment with human insight.
- written with a haiku frame, normally, 17 syllables or less. The poem can be written in the classic 3 lines of 5-7-5 or a variation of line and syllable count. (because of the nature of the subject some technical words could exceed the standard syllable count per line, therefore, as long as minimal amount of words and syllables are used to get the point across, there could be more or less than 17 syllables in the poem.
- composed of a single concept or image.
- written with “uncluttered and direct words”.
- written in the moment.
- finding the Ah-ha, light bulb realization through the understanding of the possibilities of science.
poets dance with words
cyber ballroom fills with song
line dancing in space
–judi van gorder
big bang disputed
universe is infinite
it matters not
© Lawrencealot – February 12, 2015