- The Balance attempts to create an ebb and flow rhythm. The rhythm is created by a specific syllabic designation per line as well as an intricate rhyme scheme. This verse form was created by Viola Berg.
- The Balance is:
- stanzaic, framed in 4 cinquains. The patterns of the cinquains change from stanza to stanza.
stanza 1 =10-8-6-4-2 syllables.
stanza 2 =2-4-6-8-10 syllables
stanza 3 =10-8-6-4-2 syllables
stanza 4 = 2-4-6-8-10 syllables
- rhymed, rhyme scheme Abcde edcba abcde edcbA. (AbcdeedcbaabcdeedcbA)
- composed with a refrain, the 1st line of the poem is repeated as the last line.
- Short Balance by Judi Van Gorder
- Centered on the page the words resonate
with sounds of fingers striking
the computer keyboard.
my muse.Good news,
the verse in due
time takes shape, strikes a chord
without inspiration spiking.
Centered on the page the words resonate.
My Thanks to Judi Van Gorder for the wonderful resource at PMO
Related forms: Baxter’s Hexastitch, Butterfly Cinquain, Cinquetun, Cinquino, Crapsey Cinquain, CinqCinquain, Cinquain Chain, Cinquain Swirl, Didactic Cinquain, Mirror Cinquain, Oddquain Butterfly, Standard Cinquain, The Balance
A poem of 20 lines, centered on the page
Syllabic: 10/8/6/5/2 2/4/6/8/10 10/8/6/4/2 2/4/6/8/10
Rhymed, rhyme scheme Abcde edcba abcde edcbA.
My Sample Poem
Fish wrap is Functional (The Balance)
The paper tells of babies being born,
while businesses are formed and fold,
and folks grow old and die,
while other’s kill
other’s for thrill
or just because they’re high.
The earth’s getting too hot or cold;
associations steer and hold in scorn
those men who break from ranks and won’t adorn
concepts as right, because they’re old.
with smarmy skill
while business goes awry
and we the sheeple, are controlled.
The paper tells of babies being born.
© Lawrencealot – March 7, 2014